Over the years, we really have seen and heard some horror stories regarding stove installations across Nottinghamshire. Many unsuspecting home owners have moved in to a new residence and have assumed that the existing stove was fitted safely. As time passes, it is often revealed that the stove was installed without adhering to the vitally important safety specifications that HETAS insist upon as they weren`t installed by a registered installer.
Over time, we have had to rectify many of these installations, so we thought it wise to share some of this information. Installations that were not only badly put together by the previous non- HETAS installer, but extremely dangerous for the occupants of the house. Most recently, a flue pipe that ran through a wardrobe and a stove that was more like a ticking bomb as it was placed (unknowingly by the occupants) dangerously close to a live gas feed.
Of course, even the best installations of stoves can still be problematic if the occupant is not using them properly. A little maintenance, some common sense and using the best quality wood will keep you problem free.
The room that your stove is placed in should have enough air coming into the room. Any stove over 5KW requires an airbrick to ensure this and reduce the likelihood of airborne particulate within the room. Particulate within the room has the potential to be hazardous to heath, more so for those with a pre-existing respiratory illness.
Carbon Monoxide is produced when fossil fuels burn without a good supply of air. It is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas which is difficult to detect. And If that happens in a room without adequate ventilation, levels can build up dangerously. Tell-tale signs of carbon monoxide emissions included 'black sooty marks' on the wall around the stove, boiler or fire and smoke accumulating in rooms due to faulty flues.
By law, every wood burning stove installed should have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted in the immediate vicinity. Once your HETAS engineer has placed your alarm in a suitable place, please leave it where it is.
Wood burning stoves must be placed on a fire-resistant base. Due to the extreme heat in the fire box, placement on laminate/wooden floors or carpet is forbidden.
The most common causes of chimney fires are:
We certainly wouldn’t be without our wood burner in our home. We rarely use our central heating during the winter as it is so efficient. If you feel that you need your stove looking at or are considering installing one then do get in touch. Used and installed correctly you have no need to worry about its safety and will get hours of comfort and enjoyment.
Articles, news and advice from Morleys of Nottingham Stoves.