We had an emergency call out recently to assess an old Aga. When the home owners` Carbon Monoxide alarm went off in the house they have just moved in to, they called the fire brigade. A reading of 14,000 parts per million of Carbon Monoxide was recorded. Thankfully, they had had a window open as 12,000 gives you about 3 minutes until you fall asleep and die from poisoning. The fire brigade disabled the pipe work and ventilated the property. The couple spent the weekend in hospital on oxygen. Carbon Monoxide alarms must be fitted in the immediate vicinity of a solid fuel installation by law. Please don't be tempted to move them after your HETAS engineer has left. Carbon alarms should have a minimum of 7 years battery life. Make a note of when that is up and please, please replace them. If you haven't got one, then PLEASE buy one. They are literally life savers.
Articles, news and advice from Morleys of Nottingham Stoves.